On the water, Newport bridge

On the water, Newport bridge
My happy place

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Election 2016 Power, Privilege and Voting

Option 1
Soloway/Chozick


The election of 2016 has become quite a controversial subject. Each day leading closer to the  election, I cringe at the thought of voting for the first time ever. With each new article, comments, or reports about the candidates, I'm further away from making up my mind.
In Jill Soloway's article on Donald Trump, Locker Rooms and Masculinity, she begins with discussing the most recent incident of Donald Trump and his sexist behavior while on an interview with Billy Bush. She then goes on further with this topic and calls it "Locker Room Talk". How men behave behind closed doors, what they say, and how they treat women. Men are different when they are alone with other men. Soloway calls this "toxic masculinity." So how bad is it? As Soloway goes on describing men treating women as objects, dividing them into two types, I felt sickened. Is this what we want from our future President? Someone that sees women in this way? The groups are split in two. Good women and Bad women. According to this definition, I may possibly be a bad woman? Why? Because I'm single, with no ring on my finger? How stupid. I'm insulted.
Soloway then describes a "hierarchy" of men in the locker rooms. This immediately made me think of Johnson's "Privilege, Power and Difference." Even in the locker room there's white privilege.
This article really got me thinking.
The second piece in the New York Times, by Amy Chozice, was a discussion about Hillary Clinton's voice. I'm confused as to why this discussion even needs to take place. I've never heard of such a ridiculous thing. Have there been critiques on other candidates voices? Most likely not. Lets just pick at one more thing because she's a woman. "Loud, flat, harassing to the ear." is the description of Hillary's voice. "Decidedly grating pitch and punishing tone." Are you kidding me. Who cares? Shouldn't we be more concerned with what she's actually saying than how it sounds? She's yelling? I'll show you yelling. "In today's America, when a woman is loud, it's shouting. When a man yells = enthusiasm." Such crap. 

2 comments:

  1. I also used the quote about women and shouting. It is so crazy to think that a woman cannot raise her voice, of course she can, it is enthusiasm just like the men!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it so interesting on how women aren't allowed to raise their voice, when of course we can! Loved how we can both relate to our blogs and thoughts on this piece.

    ReplyDelete